[OGSA-AUTHZ] Draft XACML/SAML Protocol Profile

Valerio Venturi valerio.venturi at cnaf.infn.it
Mon Dec 3 09:44:54 CST 2007

Hi Chad,
your work aims at satisfying the same need of one the current WG draft,
Use of XACML Request Context to Obtain an Authorization Decision,
last version at
https://forge.gridforum.org/sf/docman/do/downloadDocument/projects.ogsa-authz/docman.root.authz_service/doc14907
One difference is that this one states only that the SAML V2.0 Profile
for XACLM V2.0 is used for carrying the message, while yours go deeper
into details and mandate to using the SAML SOAP Binding. I think this
suits also the WG specification, and this is exaclty what the SAML
Profile for XACML was meant to, to leverage protocols and bindings that
SAML have, why XACLM doesn't.
The other requirements seems to me sounding as well. Please keep us
informed of your efforts, so that we can exhange experiences and find a
convergence.
David, as the main author of the XACML spec, do you think Chad's doc
requirements can be received in your doc? I really hope so, since I'm
implementing those too:). Actually, when we speak of web services, most
of the time is assumed you'll be using SOAP over HTTP, but I think it's
worth be clear in a spec.
Another thing, what about a WSDL? We are publishing one, though non
normative, in the Attribute Exchange Profile. In general, I think WSDL
helps adoption a lot, so it may be a good idea having one in. What do
you think?

Chad, needless, your comemnts on the WG doc are also very much
appreciated.

Valerio