[OGSA-AUTHZ] Teleconference - Some topics for discussion

David Chadwick d.w.chadwick at kent.ac.uk
Thu Sep 7 06:17:38 CDT 2006

Hi Yuri

thanks for your very helpful comments, which we will discuss in more
detail later today. Could I ask one favour from you please. Could you
draw a diagram showing your proposed context handler module and how it
may interact with PDP and PEP functionalities, in authz push and pull
and itermediate modes and circulate this to the list. I often find that
a diagram is easier to visualise than simply a bunch of words.

Talk to you later today

regards

David

Yuri Demchenko wrote:
> [...]
>
> To cut a long story short and to avoid further and future confusion for
> readers who are not deeply involved in such (rather historical)
> discussion, I would propose not to use these words in this and other
> OGSA-AUTHZ documents except in introduction or overview sections ;-)
>
> If we can not avoid this discussion, I would be ready to provide other
> argumentation.
>
> 3) There is one important functionality that seems mission from the
> "Functional Components of Grid Service Provider Authorisation Service
> Middleware" - this is AuthZ session management in a simple meaning and
> more extended.
>
> What if PDP will return "intermediate" state like in XACML?
>
> In *authorisation* push scenario a requestor provides set of
> capabilities/attributes based on preliminary AuthZ decision which should
> definitely have validity period. How we process/validate this scenario?
> Do we have means to revoke AuthZ session related credentials?
>
> 3) on Fig. 5 it is not clear what is "Credential Authenticator" and
> "Credential Decoder". If I understood their functionality correctly, I
> would prefer "Credential Verifier" and "Credential Resolver"
>
> Also in relation to this picture we need to clarify relation between
> terms "attributes" and "credentials".
>

> B) Document "CVS Requirements"
> https://forge.gridforum.org/sf/go/doc13701?nav=1
>
> 1) some more rather generic CVS requirements are missing, like
>
> - CVS can be called from PEP and PDP, or via CtxHandler module
> - what kind of messages/interface used
> - what type of policies are suggested and if some existing can be used
> - accepted creds/attrs formats
>
> 2) Additionally, should we define CVS operations on
> credentials/attributes?  CVS caching capability?
>
> 3) this document also should explain CVS positioning to STS and also to
> GT4-AuthZ and GAAA-AuthZ
>
> 4) from the (security) middleware developers point of view, it would be
> useful to explain/put some requirements how the CVS can be integrated
> into overall AuthZ service or infrastructure, in sense of configuration
> of namespaces, CA/Trust anchors, trusted authorities, etc.
>
> These may be many issues but I see them as important if I would try to
> implement proposed CVS functionality as a part of the AuthZ service,
> especially for dynamic services and multidomain scenarios.
>
> We can discuss some of these issues later today.
>
> Yuri
>

> David Chadwick wrote:
>> Hi Blair
>>
>> Don't worry. Your input at the meeting will be sufficient. Some people
>> are not able to attend GGF, so the telecom is much more important to
>> them than to yourself.
>>
>> regards
>>
>> David.
>>

>> Blair Dillaway wrote:
>>> David,
>>>
>>> While I'd like to participate in this call, I can't make the scheduled
>>> time. I do have some feedback on the revised charter document. I can

David W. Chadwick, BSc PhD
Email: D.W.Chadwick at kent.ac.uk
Research Web site: http://sec.cs.kent.ac.uk
PGP Key ID is 0xBC238DE5