[ogsa-authn-bof] SAML-Grid Name Mapping Framework

Nate Klingenstein ndk at internet2.edu
Sun Feb 18 21:18:21 CST 2007

OGSA-Authenticators,

Thanks for taking so much time out of your schedules to discuss the
issue of mapping Shibboleth names to Grid names and vice versa.  This
has been a very interesting thread, and I'd like to build on Tom's
note in a new thread to get down to business.  I think we've
collectively broken the problem down into a couple issues.

The first is simply mapping some information sent by a Shibboleth IdP
to something that can be embedded in a grid credential.  This is
important in two main scenarios: when authentication implicitly
grants authorization, e.g. a list of names in an ACL, and the other
is when we want to take something back out of that credential and use
it to acquire additional information or credentials, e.g. attribute
pull.  Both arise frequently and I don't believe they'll ever be
eliminated.

The second, as Tom Barton points out, is what the scope of a grid
identity/community is and the potential overlap of multiple
identities.  This problem is not unique to the grid, and there has
been a lot of time spent examining it by the Liberty Alliance, in
particular.

The functionality he describes as missing is very similar to what's
available through a combination of ID-FF, largely added to SAML 2.0,
and ID-WSF.  They've created the concept of a personal discovery
service(DS, same name but different from the Shibboleth 2.0 DS),
which is a generalization of the AA in a sense.  It's a location
where an individual's identities are indexed along with pointers,
mappings, and rules.  The discovery service can provide some decision
logic as to what information is available where and to whom it might
be released.  I would suggest that the solutions already created by
the Liberty Alliance can address the need Tom describes for this
community as well, particularly as ID-WSF is a web service
framework.  It would be excellent to embrace this.

The underpinnings required to support an ID-WSF-esque approach were
noted by Tom Scavo.  For this sort of distributed mapping to be
possible, there needs to be a definition of how a SAML-based
identifier is stored in a grid X.509 credential.  This brings us back
to the first problem.

I don't think the identifier that gets placed matters from a
standardization perspective; we want to allow for any arbitrary
attribute to be used.  However, the format of its storage is very
important.  Individual grid SP's or credential services should be
able to extract the same SAML identifier and source from a given
certificate.  It then becomes the responsibility of the IdP or the DS
to provide the right identifier for callbacks to itself and its
friends.  If the IdP chooses to supply only persistentId's(e.g.
ePTID), then this sort of identity association may not be possible.
If it chooses to supply the same unique identifier(ePPN, a SWITCH
integer, etc.), it should be possible, regardless of what that
identifier looks like.  Deployer's choice.

To achieve that underpinning, I would like to converge on two
things.  Quoting Tom. S, somewhere in the certificate, in the DN or
in a certificate extension, two pieces of information are needed:

1. the IdP entityID (but I'd add the necessary addressing and
protocol information as well, which may vary)
2. a SAML Subject

The notes from Christoph, Tom S., Stephen, David, and Von suggest to
me we're not far apart on the first, but I don't think we've spent as
much time talking about the second.

I'd like to look into and agree upon the nuts & bolts of those two
pieces.  If someone could throw out a strawman, that'd be great; I'll
do it myself in several days if nobody else can, but I'm utterly
snowed under right now.

Again, thanks for all the great discussion, and I look forward your
ideas on this too,
Nate.