[ogf20pc] Keynote speakers

Dave Berry daveb at nesc.ac.uk
Wed Jan 31 11:33:37 CST 2007

Yesterday we proposed some criteria to help select keynote speakers:

- Good speaker
- Presenting a vision, based in actual work
- Able to generalise the subject area

Also, we want the keynotes to cover both enterprise and e-Science. We
could have one keynote addressing each or each keynote could address
elements of both.  Perhaps the best way is for the keynotes to focus on
issues that apply across multiple areas, e.g. data distribution,
large-scale management of resources, security, ...

I've arranged a call for next Tuesday to discuss suggestions for keynote
speakers and decide who will be approach.

I listened to the Robin Saxby talk at the URL that Malcolm circulated.
He's a good speaker and could give a broad view.  The topic would have
to be different for our audience but ARM have a working international
Grid and of course could address trends in hardware, virtualisation and
mobile computing, while bringing a broad background via the IET.

In discussing Credit Suisse yesterday, the point was raised that they
have given this talk before and we would like them to present work since
then.

People felt that Stephen Calvert of GSK would make a good speaker.

Geoffrey put forward several suggestions for USA speakers.  A speaker
from Lilly would seem appropriate.  I know Kelvin Groegemeier gave a
good keynote at the UK e-Science AHM a year or two ago.

Would it be a good idea to invite Ian Foster to give a keynote?

Robert Gurney would be a good speaker; we had a question about whether
he would generalise his material for be of wide interest.

People felt that the suggested telco speakers wouldn't be appropriate
for a keynote.

Best wishes,

Dave Berry
Deputy Director, Research & E-infrastructure Development
National e-Science Centre, 15 South College Street
Edinburgh, EH8 9AA                  +44 131 651 4039