[ogf20pc] Thoughts on the OGF20 industry track

Dave Berry daveb at nesc.ac.uk
Tue Oct 17 04:14:33 CDT 2006

Dear PC members,

I've discussed this industry track within the Grid Computing Now project
and we've come up with some thoughts on the general outline of the
event.  These seem to be in line with what we discussed on the first
telcon.  I'd like to take this further on tomorrow's call, as I'm sure
you will have thoughts to add.  I think we need to agree on an outline
at this level quickly so that we can then progress to a more detailed
plan.

1.  Audience.  We want to target IT leaders who are potential users of
Grid and related technologies.  The aim is to raise awareness of what
these technologies can do for business now, rather than to sell a grand
vision (although that can be there in the background).

2.  Marketing.  We believe the industry track needs to be marketed as a
separate component of the main event.  We don't mean this in the way of
establishing a separate annual event a la GridWorld, but the industry
track should have a name of its own and people should be able to
register easily for just the days of the industry track.  This target
audience is unlikely to be interested in the other activities of OGF20
(at least, not yet...).  E.g. we could call the track "Grids Mean
Business", hosted by OGF & GCN; the registration page would have "Grids
Mean Business" as one option for registration (and this would register
people for the relevant days of OGF20).

3.  Setting the scene.  We need an opening presentation (or set of
presentations) that give an introduction to modern computing
infrastructures (Virtualisation, SOA and Web Services, Grid),
introducing the key concepts and their relationships.  We should stress
that we're not purist about the meaning of "Grid"'; we use whatever
works to solve business problems.

4.  We need a mixture of case studies and discussion panels, covering
issues such as:  utility computing; data centre grids; software as a
service (perhaps leading to Grid markets), collaborative Grids (e.g.
supply chains).  These should focus on solving business problems.
Ideally the case studies will cover several sectors so that we can
market the event within those sectors.

5.  Then we need to cover issues of scaling, leading to the challenges
of truly large-scale resource managment.

I look forward to hearing your suggestions and comments.

Best wishes,

Dave Berry
Technology Lead, Grid Computing Now!
National e-Science Centre, 15 South College Street
Edinburgh, EH8 9AA                  +44 131 651 4039