[occi-wg] Evolution proposal in "OCCI Platform" specification

Pierre-Yves Gibello pygibello at linagora.com
Fri Mar 24 10:22:13 EDT 2017

Dear OCCI team,

We at OCCIWare project (www.occiware.org) are using OCCI Platform to
model and deploy/configure software applications in the cloud.

But we quickly came to the conclusion that the current "OCCI Platform"
spec is too uncomplete, as we needed to extend it to cover some basic
issues.

For instance, an application component (eg. a software component, like a
database or an app server) will first be installed (we call that
"deployed"), then configured, prior to managing its lifecycle
(start/stop and so on).

OCCI Platform assumes the component is already installed and configured
(it provides only "inactive" and "active" states with "start" and
"shttps://github.com/gibello/occi-wgtop" actions), or that
install/configure/start is a single action (which is not true).

What we propose here is adding 2 states ("undeployed" and "deployed")
and 3 actions ("deploy", "configure" and "undeploy") in both the
component and the application states (all modifications are located in
chapters 3.1 and 3.2 of the OCCI Platform spec: figures 2 and 3 + tables
3 and 5).
Of course, the new states and transitions can be considered optional by
implementers, which would make things as simple as before for minimal
use cases.

Attached, the new OCCI Platform spec we propose.

We cloned the OCCI specifications repository (redmine) on github, and
the commits can be found here :
https://github.com/gibello/occi-wg (simply "git clone" the repo, then
"make" to build the specs).

Let us know what you think, and if relevant, which process to update the
next version of "OCCI platform" specification.

Regards,
  Pierre-Yves Gibello - OCCIWare project