[occi-wg] Special Session at CLOSER (and why it's not in my plans)

AUGUSTO CIUFFOLETTI augusto at di.unipi.it
Thu Jan 19 10:36:13 EST 2017

A member of this WG asked me whether I was about to launch another
Special Session at the upcoming CLOSER. Indeed, I have considered and
discarded this option, and the reasons are the following:

-) cost: the registration fee at CLOSER is high, and we do not have
enough return from such investment, since
-) we might as well publish our research elsewhere, maybe in higher
impact conferences/journals and
-) publishing to several distinct conferences/journals in open sessions
would finally improve OCCI outreach: as a matter of fact the audience of
the last Special Session was mostly made of WG members.

So, the past experience was fine but we might look for alternatives as
well, and  I propose:

-) a no-fee un-conference on our own: we have a rather active meetup
group about Cloud Computing here in Trentino, and they would certainly
appreciate. But Pisa is fine too. This is what I can put on the plate;

-) run for a OCCI-specific workshop at a higher level conference (IEEE
or the like). But I do not see  much improvement wrt CLOSER SS.

So that's it...

Bye to everybody and best wishes for a great 2017.

Augusto