[occi-wg] Input for column on IoT

Philippe Merle philippe.merle at inria.fr
Fri Feb 10 13:10:40 EST 2017

Hi Alan, all,

Last months, we coached a student project on applying OCCI to control
mobile robots (a kind of IoT).
Each robot is reflected by an OCCI resource with a new OCCI kind.
These OCCI resources are hosted by our generic OCCIware server.
The implementation of the new kinds is a bridge from OCCI to network
protocols to interact with mobile robots.
Three kinds of robots are currently supported: Lego Mindstorm, AR Drone
and TurtleBot 2.

In brief, OCCI can be experimentally used to model mobile robots as
resource.

One of next steps will be to embed the OCCI server directly inside
mobile robots, e.g., our TurtleBot 2 embeds a portable computer,
Raspberry PI could be the computer of a mobile robot.

Another big step could be to define an OCCI extension, which clearly
standardizes a set of kinds and mixins related to IoT.

A+
Philippe

Le 10/02/2017 à 16:35, Sill, Alan a écrit :
> I am writing a column for IEEE Cloud Computing on standards useful in IoT, and would appreciate any and all input. Please feel to write to me individually with any questions or suggestions.
>
> OCCI obviously has applicability here, but I would be interested beyond this in any ongoing work.
>
> Thanks,
> Alan

Philippe Merle
Inria researcher