[occi-wg] OCCI entities ids

Jean Parpaillon jean.parpaillon at free.fr
Thu Apr 28 08:46:47 EDT 2016

Hi,
A solution proposal below:
Le jeudi 28 avril 2016 à 14:33 +0200, Jean Parpaillon a écrit :
> Hi,
> We've had a discussion during last OCCI-wg session in Roma about the
> way to specify entity ids.
>
> As specified in current documents, entity ids can be specified in
> different ways _at the same time_ at creation time and
> implementations behaviour is not specified.
> I suppose we should consider either removing different ways to
> specify ids either specify implementation behaviour.
>
> Here are the different ways the can be specified:
> * JSON rendering:
>   * 'id' attribute in JSON document
>   * 'occi.core.id' attribute in the 'attributes' property of the JSON
> document
> * HTTP protocol:
>   * PUT request: url of the request + rendering specific (see above)
>   * POST request: rendering specific
A solutiom is that 'id' is an immutable attribute. It is set by the
server in the following way:
* generated for POST request
* url of the request for PUT request

> In general, for renderings where core attributes are rendered differently from others (id, source, target, etc), it is not specified how to deal with attributes being set twice.
A proposal would be to have all attributes, at least for JSON, rendered
as flat attributes, with full name:
{ 'occi.core.id': ...
  'occi.core.source': ...
 'occi.core.source.kind': ...
 'occi.infrastructure.network...':
}

> A suggestion will follow in a next e-mail. For me, the most important being to avoid ambiguities as to improve implementations interoperability.
>
> Regards,
> -
Jean Parpaillon
--