[occi-wg] CloudWatch Proposal & OGF contributions & participation & LoS letter

Sill, Alan alan.sill at ttu.edu
Wed Jan 2 03:05:46 EST 2013

Silvana,

Many apologies for the delay in responding.  I am afraid I have been out of commission with a nasty but undetermined illness that has finally run its course, which took me out of communication for most of the last part of December.

I have distributed your request within OGF for feedback.  While I suspect there is considerable interest on many points that you mention below from several people who are active in OGF, in practice we are all also quite busy, and I know that many are working on their own EC funding proposals also.

Let me do what I can to interpolate from what I know and what I have discussed recently with people involved in OGF work groups.

1) OGF explicitly tries not to take sides between competing projects during the selection phase of funding, but has always been happy to provide general letters of encouragement and support.  As you note, OGF is already involved in several projects on its own that are similar to and compatible with the goals that you describe, and if helpful, we would be happy to provide a letter describing these and offering to exchange information on a cooperative basis with CloudWATCH.  (Of course, we would do so for any other project that asked, in general terms, as well.)  So a partnership of the sort that you describe in part A) below is certainly possible.

2) In terms of collaboration that would more closely occupy members of the OGF community in common standards profile definition, we are also happy to cooperate.  We do already have direct liaison relationships with ISO JTC1 SC 38 and the ITU-T JCA-Cloud committees, it should be noted and intend to present an OGF profile and list of relevant standards at the joint meeting of these bodies in Geneva, just before CloudScape V.

As you know, OGF is a diverse community with a  wide range of individual talent as well as project and some corporate participation, but our processes for developing, refining, approving and publishing official OGF documents are well defined, so it is easy therefore for us to present and explain the output of these processes in terms of the published documents to outside observers.  But that having been said, it is always valuable to encounter fresh perspectives and external impetus to refine and extend the OGF document set and explanations of our output.

I think given these restrictions that it may be best for us to provide you with a general letter of support in broad terms from OGF that does not take sides during selection, but offers support for your goals of identifying the relevant IAAS standards that you seek to study in this project.

Of course, OGF does have already some of the most successful standards in the field in this area, so we would be delighted to work with you more closely if you can identify a way for us to do so that does not put us unduly into competition with other projects we may also work with and support.

Please let me know what will work best for you.  I can get a letter to you in short order, now that I am recovered.

Alan