[occi-wg] XML rendering

Jean Parpaillon jean.parpaillon at free.fr
Wed Dec 11 04:39:53 EST 2013

Hi Augusto,
I can only answer quickly on some points. I will have an eye to your xml
file later, sorry.
Comments inside:

Le mardi 10 décembre 2013 à 17:43 +0100, Augusto Ciuffoletti a écrit :
> Hi Jean,
>

> I have completed the exercise of translating to XML the example in the
> document (compose.pdf). There is one XML that describes the mixins
> specific for the provider (example.xml), and the xml document that
> describes the entities that implement the example in the document
> (occi-monitoring-example.xml). They are uploaded in the "monitoring"
> branch.
>

> I have left your comments in the occi-monitoring-example.xml
> complaining about the fact that mixin attributes "melt" into the
> resource in a completely opaque way. On my side, I add that it is also
> impossible to characterize an attribute with any sort of semantic (in
> my case, input, control, metric).
>

> About the occi.xsd document:
>

> -) line 113: amyURI instead of anyURI
>

> -) the attribute type
>
>     <xs:complexType name="attributeType">
>         <xs:sequence>
>             <xs:element name="value" type="xs:anyURI" minOccurs="0"
>                 maxOccurs="unbounded">
>             </xs:element>
>         </xs:sequence>
>         <xs:attribute name="name" type="xs:string"></xs:attribute>
>         <xs:attribute name="value" type="xs:string"></xs:attribute>
>     </xs:complexType>
>

> The two attributes are ok (name+value) but the unbounded sequence of
> URIs puzzles me: what is its meaning exactly.

I think it is useful to have 2 forms of attributes:
1/ when attributes have single value:
  <occi:attribute name="occi.ext.attr1" value="value1" />
2/ when attributes have multiple values:
  <occi:attribute name="occi.ext.attr2" >
    <occi:value>value1</occi:value>
    <occi:value>value2</occi:value>
  </occi:attribute>
But I must admit I don't remember why I've limited to xs:anyURI... :)

I remember a discussion in CompatibleOne project where we expressed the
need for referring to a resource as an attribute value. This could be
achieved in XML with allowing 'href' or 'xref' xml attribute instead if
'value' xml attribute.

I will update the xsd ASAP.

> And, overall, this is not the "attribute" as defined in the core
> model, upper right corner of fig. 2: this is represented as the
> "attributeSpecType", right? Is there a relationship between the two? I
> guess no.

You're right, in the XSD, I separate the attributeSpecType from
attributeType, the latter representing an instance of the former.
Basically, you will find attributeSpecType in kind, mixin or action
definition, while attributeType in resource or link.

> Also: I have not found an easy way to test the example: do you have an
> inexpensive suggestion for me?

I am currently writing an OCCI implementation in erlang which read OCCI
API definition in XML file. Unfortunately, it is not ready yet. If you
want to check it out, you will only be able to read the xml file and
expose the categories at query url (in json or text/plain).
Code is here: http://github.com/jeanparpaillon/erocci

Of course, any contribution welcome, but I'm more focusing on finishing
the first implementation rather than documenting or stabilizing APIs....

Regards,
Jean

--
Jean Parpaillon