[occi-wg] Core errata

Feldhaus, Florian florian.feldhaus at gwdg.de
Tue Sep 25 04:04:39 EDT 2012

Dear all,

Andy and I had a discussion on IDs for OCCI Entities last week wether they should be UUIDs and wether they have to be globally unique. In the published version of OCCI Core, it states that entity IDs must be URIs and "A unique identifier (within the service provider’s name- space) of the Entity sub-type instance.". In 3.1 of the OCCI RESTful HTTP Rendering document, it says:
"Each resource instance within an OCCI system MUST have a unique identifier stored in the occi.core.id attribute of the Entity type [1]. It is RECOMMENDED to use a Uniform Resource Name (URN) as the identifier stored in occi.core.id.

The structure of these identifiers is opaque and the system should not assume a static, pre-determined scheme for their structure. For example occi.core.id could be urn:uuid:de7335a7-07e0-4487-9cbd-ed51be7f2ce4."

In my opinion it would be very good if both sentences could be moved to OCCI Core to clarify the ID format. Thus we would stress the fact, that UUIDs should be used, but we probably shouldn't require that they have to be used. It is probably not necessary to enforce IDs to be globally unique, but with UUIDs implementers can follow the guidelines in the RFC to ensure global uniqueness.

Cheers,
Florian