[occi-wg] OCCI Core Errata Draft (update)

Augusto Ciuffoletti augusto at di.unipi.it
Wed Oct 17 05:10:15 EDT 2012

Ralf,

A note about the Mixin section (sect. 4.4.4), which is fact extends to
(r|R)esource definition.

Throughout the whole section the doc explains the relationship of mixins
with (r)esource instances. But the term resource is overloaded: lower case
and followed by {instance} it is an instance of an Entity, upper case is
one of the two Entity subtypes. The reader may have the (wrong) impression
that Links (the other subtype) cannot be associated with Mixins. The
picture is complicated by the fact that (R)esources are defined in a
following section, and forward references degrade readability. The fact
that Figure 2 explains that mixins can be associated with Entities (not
only Resources), and that the glossary is even more explicit about that
does not help enough the first-time reader.

If you agree with me, one way to solve the problem is to state explicitly
the overloading. I'd add two sentences: one the first time the term
(r)esource is used, and another when the entity is defined. The sentence
should be an explicit warning: "A {\em resource instance} must not be
confused with the {\em Resource}, as it will be defined in section..."
since the possibility of a misunderstanding is real (in my experience :-)).
A pointer to the glossary can be helpful.

Thank you

Augusto

2012/10/1 Ralf Nyren <ralf at nyren.net>

> Hi,
>
> I have updated the OCCI Core document to include the feedback on the last
> errata draft.
>
> Please find a PDF attached and refer to the Git commit log [1] for details.
>
> The document now contains an Errata Summary and is (in my view) close to
> its final state. If you have any pending corrections for OCCI Core now is
> the time to speak up!
>
> Very important to read and provide feedback on the Core errata update and
> the JSON Rendering spec.
>
> regards, Ralf
>
> [1] http://redmine.ogf.org/**projects/occi-wg/repository/**
> revisions/core-errata/changes/**core.tex<http://redmine.ogf.org/projects/occi-wg/repository/revisions/core-errata/changes/core.tex>
>
> On Tue, 25 Sep 2012 17:54:48 +0200, Feldhaus, Florian <
> florian.feldhaus at gwdg.de> wrote:
>
>  Hi,
>>
>> I just spoke with Thijs and we would suggest to skip the TelCo today and
>> encourage everyone to join the TelCo next week 18:00 CET. We would like to
>> discuss all remaining issues with the OCCI Core and OCCI JSON documents and
>> then prepare them for submission to the OGF review process.
>>
>> It is very important, that everyone checks the documents again. The
>> latest versions of the documents can be found here:
>> http://redmine.ogf.org/**projects/occi-wg/repository/**
>> revisions/core-errata/changes/**core.tex<http://redmine.ogf.org/projects/occi-wg/repository/revisions/core-errata/changes/core.tex>
>> http://redmine.ogf.org/**projects/occi-wg/repository/**
>> revisions/json/changes/json_**rendering.tex<http://redmine.ogf.org/projects/occi-wg/repository/revisions/json/changes/json_rendering.tex>