[occi-wg] JSON Rendering Proposal to add CRUD Verb (change the venue away from JSON)

Gary Mazz garymazzaferro at gmail.com
Thu May 3 22:00:21 EDT 2012

Hi,

This is an interesting more interesting approach.. that opens up a
larger new world for OCCI.

My motivation for bringing CRUD into the JSON spec was trying to avoid
creating more specifications.  I felt that adding the higher order
life-cycle verbs as a proposal to the JSON was a good way to vet ideas
and if accepted, gain the advantage of compact form. I also believe this
has ramifications to other projections, text, HTTP anything else down
the line.

In my view, the higher order life-cycle verbs (CRUD) should be treated
no differently than other life-cycle verbs associated with Mixins and
Kinds.  Until now, we have not had the opportunity to include higher
order life-cycle verbs (associated with Categories) in any OCCI works.

There is an impression that CRUD is only applicable to protocols. I
don't agree with that assertion. CRUD may be implemented across
different medias. Naturally, the semantic may require some adjustment
supporting media characteristics.

OCCI already supports Actions for resources inherited from Category,
Kind and Mixin. The Actions are mutable, extensible and replaceable at
the provider's discretion. The same is true for life-cycle states.

Using that precedence, I placed the higher order life-cycle verbs (CRUD)
in the OCCI Action type.  Before I wrote the brief proposal, I reviewed
the OCCI Core specification and the OCCI Infrastructure specification.
Neither of these documents suggest or infer limiting the scope of
Actions  to any specific verbs, life-cycle models, Mixins or Kinds.

The OCCI HTTP specification shows examples of verbs as part of the
resource name space. */ie
rel="http://schemas.ogf.org/occi/infrastructure/compute/action#start"/*
However, there is no requirement that any verb must be part of a
resource name space. The Action name space is only required to be
associated with a Category, Kind or Mixin.

I would like to continue this discussion, but change venue.

Lets try to discuss the aspects of  higher order life-cycle verbs in
terms of an extension to the OCCI Infrastructure specification. If
accepted it will have implications, similar to the ones identified in
the CRUD JSON proposal, to OCCI JSON,  OCCI HTTP and any future OCCI
render specifications. It may pave the way for an opportunity to create
a "JSON document" specification for OCCI.

cheers,
gary