[occi-wg] JSON Rendering

Gary Mazz garymazzaferro at gmail.com
Sat Jun 30 00:46:32 EDT 2012

Sorry,  missed the meeting... Was doing logistics as Colorado is burning
to the ground.

Overall Comments:
I think we need to keep the existing OCCI documents as stable as
possible. However, we need to also consider flexibility and usability as
part of the overall road map.

OCCI separates the scheme information from deployment topologies. Unlike
similar approaches, OCCI adopted a two tiered approach for the scheme
and does not define a topology.  OCCI core, the top level scheme, uses
UML to define abstracted OCCI Entities, OCCI Entity Associations and the
extension of Entity capabilities via Mixins.  OCCI infrastructure, again
using UML, extends the OCCI core model to provide the scheme for some
IAAS resources.

The OCCI rendering specifications map abstractions, defined in the OCCI
core and infrastructure specifications, to concrete representations.
Where applicable, OCCI Entities, Properties, Actions and Associations
are transformed to a data formats, related verbs and functions and any
taxonomies required and supported by the rendering's media type.

Whether the concrete media type requires properties, attributes, frames,
or hyperlinks are details of the concrete type. The abstract OCCI models
should not be encumbered by a concrete specification's implementation
detail, ie attributes and taxonomy.

Other comments are inline.

cheers,
gary

On 6/26/2012 1:25 PM, Feldhaus, Florian wrote:
> A short summary of the changes / open questions:
> - should the description of locations and category namespaces go to OCCI Core?

> - should the Attribute Definition (or whatever we call it) go to OCCI Core?
See comment above
> - how should applicable actions be associated with resources? In text/plain this is done by linking to them. We discussed to include actions as separate entry in resource but didn't specify how. Do we want to do it?
This depends on the strategy selected for externally defined information
associated with a resource.
> Should the resource contain a full rendering of the action? Should we include an association between Resource and Action in OCCI Core?
This was done deliberately to include capabilities of different
providers and not exclude providers by inadvertently requiring
capabilities that could be protected IP.
> - should actions be rendered as part of links? Are there scenarios where an action can be triggered on a link? If so, should we include an association between Link and Action in OCCI Core?
If memory serves me correctly, links were intended to be a
representation of a specific type of association. A resource has Action
capabilities. The link is an indicator of a relationship. If the link is
becoming an active entity, we should consider it a type of resource.
> - Do we have to specify an attribute type as used within resource and link in contrast to the attribute definition type?
This depends on whether the type is implicitly or explicitly defined in
the specification. IMO, since there is no externally defined definition
schema associated with JSON, any explicate definition must be defined
using an attribute type.
> - Should we limit attributes to just strings?
All JSON values are represented by digits.....
> Then we don’t need the type property and can use the pattern to define arbitrary restrictions on the content. When using true/false and number as well, we might have trouble with applying the pattern and introduce additional complexity.
In JSON all string values are enclosed by double quotes...  Can't you
detect the double quote as the first and characters in the value ?