[occi-wg] Attribute descriptions

Gary Mazz garymazzaferro at gmail.com
Tue Jul 31 01:48:40 EDT 2012

Hi,

Sorry this took so long, had a family medical emergency which took up
most of last half of week and the weekend.

  There is one or two items about attributes that I believe needed to be
clarified. As well as one or two items that are potential for conflicts.
I listed them below, they will warrant  a discuss and vote to see which
capability we would consider supporting.

1) I believe we need a definition for attributes in the document... The
definition needs to qualify the role of attributes and properties of the
attributes.

2) Differentiate between OCCI Resource attributes and Attributes defined
by Mixins.

3) Mixins may reference attributes defined in external schemas, DMTF's
CIM for example. We need a way to filter attributes sourced from
external schemas and hopefully not overload OCCI clients, servers or
other information management vehicles (ie templates). This capability
may also be required for the converse case, identifying attributes that
will be used, all other will be ignored. This use case may also valid
for OCCI Resource defined attributes.

4) The OCCI server should have the ability to override attributes
defined in external schemas and OCCI Resources. The overridden
attributes warrants a discrete definition, not to confuse externally
defined attributes with server defined attributes. These attributes may
fall into the class of "calculated attributes".

5) Indicators: An Indicator is threshold based logic used to show
whether a metric is operating within a set of limits. Indicators may be
polled by the client using traditional client/server technologies or
pushed to the client by the server through asynchronous methods.

What an indicator looks like is interesting.. we need to determine the
following:

a) Do Indicators contain more then one threshold?
b) Can Indicators send or trigger asynchronous  events, if yes, what
does it look like ?
c) Should each Indicator have a name ?
c) How is MetricName/Indicator naming schema defined ? What does the
canonical form look like ?

cheers,
gary