[occi-wg] JSON Rendering

Gary Mazz garymazzaferro at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 13:41:11 EST 2012

On 2/22/2012 9:52 AM, Feldhaus, Florian wrote:
> Hi Gary,
>
> Am 22.02.2012 um 16:54 schrieb Gary Mazz:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> What phases of the life cycle are these referring ?
>>
>> 1) To the provider's capabilities definition ?
> no, but in my opinion the entity rendering should be similar to the capability definition.
If they are different, any differences,  this needs to be clearly
defined and differences clearly noted. It effects usability

>> 2) The consumer's request for service ?
> yes, in my opinion the rendering should have the same structure (e.g. "collection" or "entity" with an array of the elements, even if there is only one element in the array) for
> GET /
> GET /compute/
> GET /compute/123
>
> With Ralfs implementation, there is currently a difference between GET / or GET /compute/ and GET /compute/123 The latter one is only the rendering of the entity without it being embedded in an collection or entity array.
I agree with you on this topic, minimize any differences to ease
implementations.

>> 3) The instantiation of a consumer's implementation ?
> It should be the same. Ralf already described it in 5.2.1 Client POST request. There is currently a collection array.
>
>> 4) The consumer's configuration at the service provider ?
> What do you mean with configuration?
At a provider, a consumer can upload an OVF file with a complex
"configuration" of VMs. As a consumer, I can instantiate any number of
VMs. I can also download my set of configured VMs in an OVF file with
the associated disk images. The OVF is a definition file of the VM
configurations.

>> 5) All of the above ?
> No.
>
>> I raise the questions based on the appropriateness of the parent object's term to use cases. We may want to consider naming the parent object in the examples so we can assess the approach in terms of use cases.
>>
>> My personal preference is to have a "Collection" with a name property.
> I don't like the idea of having a name property. The current way with having keys named "kind", "mixins" is fine for me.
We would have to use a mixin, I wanted to see what your thoughts were on
the taxonomy (structure) of the JSON data. One issue we have never
addresses is the intuitiveness of the data and the challenges faced by
implementers accessing the data in the native forms.. If the data
structures are convoluted and difficult to understand, it poses an
barrier to widespread adoption.

>> How would this look with hierarchical or peered collections  ?
> I'm not sure about hierarchical collections. In general, we have the approach to show all entities below a given path, right? Thus GET /compute/florian/ would show a subset of the resources shown by GET /compute/
>
> I haven't head much discussion regarding hierarchies. Currently I don't see anyone using them. It might be handy to have a way of discovering hierarchies without retrieving all resources. Something like a directory listing. Any thoughts on this?
Ahh... Vmware's new administration products allows you to organize
virtual machines in arbitary groups, a very desirable feature when
assessing costs and risks.