[occi-wg] HTTP Doc and Resource Updates

Ralf Nyren ralf at nyren.net
Thu Mar 31 15:04:59 CDT 2011

On Thu, 31 Mar 2011 20:57:58 +0200, Edmonds, AndrewX
<andrewx.edmonds at intel.com> wrote:

> BTW: personally, with working with REST I'd have preferred the operation
> on
> the resource as opposed to the resource related to the resource in
> question
> but none the less that's only a digression.

It would indeed make it more RESTful and clever move there to keep the old
functionality (which at least I find quite useful) through POST.

I give my vote for the change if and only if we update the HTTP Rendering
spec to include explicit ABNF grammar for each different use case for the
Category and Link headers.

For example, a Link header in a PUT /compute/123 MUST have the self=
parameter specified but MUST NOT have any Link attributes specified. The
Link title parameter is also a MUST NOT in this case since it refers to
the title of the target resource.

Maybe we can just break it down into 2 use cases per header, i.e. Link
header ABNF for requests and Link header ABNF for responses.

The change is good but there are all these little details that could cause
lots of interoperability problems if we do not specify them very precisely.

regards, Ralf