[occi-wg] HTTP Doc and Resource Updates

Edmonds, AndrewX andrewx.edmonds at intel.com
Thu Mar 31 10:28:44 CDT 2011

I'd be interested to hear how people currently implement updates to their
various OCCI resources. Currently in the spec, it says to perform a PUT and
supply _only_ the attributes that need to be updated.

This works and is clear in changing or adding items such as attributes or
mixins. However what is not so clear to me is how to handle an update that
removes a mixin from an existing resource (e.g. I want to remove IP
networking capabilities).

One solution I suggest would be that the section on updating a resource
allow for updating using both POST and PUT. In this case POST can modify
(i.e. replace) a _part_ of the resource e.g. a particular attribute. PUT can
replace the whole resource _representation_ and in doing so support the
removal of items like mixins.

Comments?

Andy