[occi-wg] [ogf-board] Fwd: Cloud Standards Integration - Request for comments

Craig Lee craig.a.lee at aero.org
Thu Jun 23 14:27:24 CDT 2011

Andy, Thijs, et al.,

It's very nice to see a paper that directly addresses the integration
of OCCI, OVF, and CDMI.  Some of these questions might be for my own
education, as much as anything else.

The Scenario example is a simple MapReduce service consisting of
a Portal, a Hadoop Master and a Hadoop Slave -- along with two storage
volumes.  These are connected in a simple network topology.

While an OVF package can represent a multi-VM configuration, this is
not emphasized in the Service Migration and Redeployment discussion.
In fact, the acronym OVA (Open Virtualization Appliance or Application)
is used but not defined.  Presumably OVA is intended to denote entire
applications that can consist of many resources.

OCCI's Resource Templates do not seem intended to capture entire
"virtual application configurations" -- rather they are intended to
capture individual resource configurations.  (Is that correct?)

Step 4 of Service Migration states that the service provider
instantiates the resources and attaches the related data.  Nothing is
said about network topology support or necessary/expected bandwidth.
Compute resources can be qualified by clock speed or RAM, storage
resources can be qualified by size, but network resources have no such
qualifications.

What I'm getting at is the ability to migrate/instantiate large,
complex applications or even "virtual data centers" out of a physical
data center/cloud.  Aside from issues of scale, can this be done at
all?

Presumably this would be facilitated by managing things like virtual
switches.  What would it take to do this (in OVF)?  What would this
have to look like to be compatible with the VLAN management work being
done using OpenFlow and IF-MAP in the OCC Virtual Network Testbed?
(This will be hard to answer since I don't think there's anything
written up yet.)

What's the uptake of OCCI/OVF/CDMI in OpenStack?

--Craig

Minor editorial comments:

1) CMWG needs a citation.
2) The first reference to OVF occurs in the second paragraph of the
Introduction but the citation [4] isn't given until two paragraphs later.
3) OVA is used by not defined.