[occi-wg] Edgy Resource Attributes during Creation

alexander.papaspyrou at tu-dortmund.de alexander.papaspyrou at tu-dortmund.de
Tue Apr 12 11:28:10 CDT 2011

Inline...

Am 12.04.2011 um 11:09 schrieb Gary Mazz:

> Inline...
>
>>> Each consumer defined attribute (mandatory, optional or custom) needs 2
>>> states, initialized and uninitialized. Undefined mandatory attributes
>>> are automatically defined by the occi server for the consumer.  Which
>>> means, the occi server always reports back all Resource attributes...
>>>
>>> Attributes not initialized by the consumer, including the auto-gen'd,
>>> should remain uninitialized at the provider until deployment. At
>>> deployment, a temporary default value is set. For example, a compute
>>> memory attribute may be left uninitialized by the consumer. When the
>> Why would that value be "temporary"? IIRC, "deployment" for you is hitting the start button. But then, the value isn't really temporary anymore. The other way around, the value would be server-side set on (protocol-wise) creation (of the OCCI resource), but then it wouldn't be uninitialized anymore...
>>
>> Sorry for nitpicking :-/
> Depending on agreement, every attribute value may be temporary. Leaving the values uninitialized in the definition/provisioning allows the occi definition to specify "give me the default value on each deployment". When running (deployed) a real value can be in there, the value is set from systems out of occ.'s scope.

I guess we had a different notion of "uninitialized" in mind. From an SLA perspective, all values are "temporary" until the agreement is electronically signed. From the protocol perspective, the value is not "uninitialized" anymore from the very first moment it is set by either the client or the server.

>>> consumer hits the "start" the attribute is set by the provider with a
>>> default value. When the compute Resource is "stopped" the attribute
>>> value returns to the uninitialized state.
>> Not sure whether this should be uninitialized until "start" by definition. Isn't that something that should be left to the provider?
> This was just and example to illustrate the use case... Yes, but interoperability for one provider is not interoperability...

Agreed. The question is to what extent (and, more importantly, by which way) this should be specified. I would say that this is another thing to go into the "book"...

-Alexander