[occi-wg] Translating foreign resources

Gary Mazz garymazzaferro at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 17:51:05 CDT 2011

Hi,

An issue came up of translating foreign resources between providers..
There are two (3) use cases:

1) we have a provider that has a unique network, defined as a
IPNetworkingMixin. Another provider doesn't support that Resource..

2) We have 2 providers, each provider has a unique network, defined as a
IPNetworkingMixin. The operation of the networks is different between
providers, their name spaces overlap.

3) We have a provider and they would like to transcribe the
IPNetworkingMixin, but the resource class is know to be in an
overlapping name space.

We have 4 questions:

Q1) How do we identify the name space of the originating Mixin
A1) The name space is provided by the scheme associated with the resource

Q2) There is not enough information in the scheme to translate the
resource..
A2) No clear practice

Q3) If we translate another providers Mixin, what do we export, the
original mixin definition, our translated mapping or both ?
A3) No clear practice

Q4) If we export both our resource and the original mixin, how do we
link them together?
A4) No clear pratice

Suggestions:

Q2: We need some hints? Maybe a pointer to a super class ie derived
class "IPNetworkingMixin", super class "Neworking".

Looking for some suggestions

cheers,
gary