[occi-wg] Where is the scheme ?

Andre Merzky andre at merzky.net
Wed Apr 6 00:46:36 CDT 2011

Hi Gary,

On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 7:16 AM, Gary Mazz <garymazzaferro at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Maybe I wasn't clear with the question. I thought we generated a scheme
> and published it on http://schemas.ogf.org . It been almost a year ago,
> so I may be wrong... or dropped another brain cell along the way :)

>From what I understand from the OCCI specs, the schema locations are
indeed supposed to provide a unique and well defined namespace for
OCCI, and OCCI extensions.  But I don't see any place in the specs
where that URL is actually evaluated, and returns a schema of any
kind.

Having said that, I think it might be a good idea to use that schema
scheme (ha!) to implement some form of namespace verification.  For
example, I placed an empty document at
http://schemas.ogf.org/occi/infrastructure, so that all GET operations
on that document return an HTTP 200 (OK).  That provides a very simple
way to confirm the validity of OCCI identifiers, and also provides a
straight-forward way to register OCCI extensions (or rather, their
namespaces).  One could also link the normative documents for the
extension at http://schemas.ogf.org/occi/infrastructure#specification;
one could verify the #target elements; etc.  However, that is as of
yet unspecified AFAICS, and is likely a rather naive proposal, given
my somewhat limited knowledge of HTTP itself.

Best, Andre.

> cheers,
> gary
>

> On 4/5/2011 10:34 PM, Alan Sill wrote:
>> (Same question in the core document , with regards to the http://schemas.ogf.org/occi/ base URL reserved for OCCI and the http://schemas.ogf.org/occi/core#entity Kind instances.)
>>
>> Sorry for the ignorant question.
>>
>> Alan
>>
>> On Apr 6, 2011, at 12:26 AM, Sill, Alan wrote:
>>
>>> More specifically - in Table 1 we define the following Kind instances.  Are these tken to be a namespace, so that no definite schema has to be associated with them, or is there intended to be a document returned at the following URIs (i.e., are they actual schemata URLs)?
>>>

>>> Table 1.     The Kind instances defined for the infrastructure sub-types of Resource, Link and related Mixins. The base URL http://schemas.ogf.org/occi has been replaced with<schema>  in this table for a better readability experience.
>>>
>>> Term
>>> compute storage storagelink network ipnetworking networkinterface ipnetworkinterface
>>>
>>> Scheme
>>>
>>> Title
>>> Compute Resource Storage Resource StorageLink Link Network Resource IP Networking Mixin NetworkInterface Link IP NetworkInterface Mixin
>>> Related Kind

>>> <schema>/core#link –
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Alan