[occi-wg] Validating the Cloud on, well, the Cloud

alexander.papaspyrou at tu-dortmund.de alexander.papaspyrou at tu-dortmund.de
Fri Apr 1 11:57:59 CDT 2011

Folks,

in a moment of boredom, I rewrote Thijs' OCCI testing tool to run in Google App Engine (GAE).

Please take a look at

  http://doyouspeakocci.appspot.com

for the application (and, of course, try your service) and see

  https://github.com/lxndrp/doyouspeakocci/

for the source code of the application.

The code is largely undocumented, but not very difficult to understand, if you are (like me) a fairly bad Python programmer and ever heard of Django Templates. If you find anything that you wish to improve, feel free to do so. A few rules of thumb for this:

1. Although the code is released under LGPL2, I consider it "AdviseWare": when making an improvement, let me know where I was too stupid to get it right in the first place.
2. Remember that GAE has certain restrictions in what can be done and how you can do it. See http://code.google.com/intl/de-DE/appengine/docs/ for details.
3. Before making a change, create a ticket in the GitHub tracker.
4. During making a change, remember to add some documentation (for new classes and defs) or at least comments (close to your change).
5. After making a change, enjoy the fuzzy feeling of having contributed to the community.

Even if you are not a Python developer, you can help out: the pages served by the application look, ahem, bad. So if you happen to be an HTML/CSS expert, your help is more than appreciated. Ultimately, the testing tool should look similar to the web pages at http://occi-wg.org (ask Andy whether you can feel free to steal stuff from there for the GAE app!).

Hoping you will enjoy the tool, my mind demands some rest now and advises me to be off for a few beers.

Best,
Alexander