[occi-wg] Link specification

Ralf Nyren ralf at nyren.net
Thu Sep 2 04:31:12 CDT 2010

On Thu, 02 Sep 2010 11:01:06 +0200, Csom Gyula <csom at interface.hu> wrote:

> Ok. This clarifies the situation. That is:
>
> * when deleting target resources the default behaviour is to
> automatically delete links (pointing to them) as well. However

Correct.

> * a specific OCCI implementation might enforce its special policies
> before deleting target resources.

You can enforce your own policies on Resources and Links which have been
subclass (subtyped) from the OCCI model Resource/Link.

> Ops, no:) What I tried to mean is the following. Taking your example: if
> I have a
> Compute (the source) linked by an IPAddressLink (the link) to a Network
> (the target)
> then
>
> * when deleting the Compute (the source) it is natural that the
> IPAddressLink (the
>    link) is deleted automatically as well, since the network link (which
> in fact represents a NIC) is "owned" by the compute. However

Indeed.

> * when deleting the Network (the target) it might not be natural to
> delete the
>    IPAddressLink as well, since the link (a NIC) is not "owned" by the
> network.

I see what you mean but I disagree. If you require your NIC to exist
without an associated Network it is not a Link you need. You should
instead model your NIC as a Resource.

regards, Ralf