[occi-wg] Categories and Collections

Andre Merzky andre at merzky.net
Thu Oct 7 03:52:33 CDT 2010

Quoting [alexander.papaspyrou at tu-dortmund.de] (Oct 07 2010):

> Although I see the threat Gary sketched, I don't think this is a
> serious problem. OCCI core is clearly designed in a way that you
> use a category for describing the specifics of a resource. That
> is, for infrastructure, there will be the ominous ComputeResource
> category which defines certain attributes for this very type of
> "thing".
>
> Of course a provider can come up with the stupid idea to leave the
> "os" field in such a category empty, and rather attach a tag
> called "SuperOperatingSystemOneDotFive" to it, but this really
> bends over the spec in a way that you can safely assume the
> implementor *wants* to break things...

You may be right here - but, IMVHO, a spec should make it *hard* to
break interop.  In particular if your target implementors which have
a vested interest in claiming standards compliance, but also have an
interest in binding useres to their own solutions / infrastructure.

> Just my thoughts, though...

Same here... :-)

Andre.

> -Alexander
>
> Am 07.10.2010 um 09:46 schrieb Gary Mazz:
>

> > Great work adding tags into the collections.
> >
> > Adding tags may be  two edged sword. They allow "folksonomy" a path into
> > occi, but tags may be used by providers to represent technical aspects
> > of their infrastructure. This could be catastrophic for
> > interoperability. For example, a provider elects to use tags to
> > represent an OS instead of a template. As/if this practice continues, we
> > may end up with tags de jour, crippling interoperability and devaluing
> > formalized extensions.
> >
> > We can minimize the impact by limiting tag usage to informative
> > metadata, not impacting resource provisioning or operations. This would
> > encourage providers to use extensions and provide a taxonomy for
> > extension impacting interoperability.
> >
> > -gary

> >> Good, I just want to make sure the add/remove collection tag thing does
> >> not end up with the same problems as we had with Links in the past.

> >> Implementing navigation using Link Headers should be easy, we can grab
> >> that part directly from the RFC and it will not conflict with the OCCI
> >> specific use of Link Headers.
> >>
> >> Regarding confusing terminology could we be _very_ consistent on using
> >> "Link Header" when we refer to RFC5988 and just "Link" when referring to
> >> the OCCI base type?
> >> I think we should at least consider renaming the OCCI Link base type to
> >> something else because the current situation will confuse people.

> >> We could but Alex point of keeping the namespace clean is also important.
> >> Not sure which is best. Will there be only one Category for the collection
> >> stuff or will there be more (defined by Core) in the future?
> >>
> >> Speaking of user defined collections. How is the mix-in attribute
> >> occi.core.tag supposed to work when a user adds a Resource instance to 2
> >> or more collections?
> >>
> >> regards, Ralf

Nothing is ever easy.