[occi-wg] Categories and Collections

Ralf Nyren ralf at nyren.net
Wed Oct 6 05:11:58 CDT 2010

> - Could we have some HTTP-rendering examples of how to add/remove Kind
> instances to/from a collection other than the defining collection?
>
> AE: I'll get some examples added asap.

Good, I just want to make sure the add/remove collection tag thing does
not end up with the same problems as we had with Links in the past.

> AE: Ooops my mistake - Actions should not have been mentioned (I'll make
> that edit). Paging through collections should be accomplished using Links
> (e.g. in HTTP header renderings) as you point out. A beginning example
> can
> be found here [1] in section 1.4.3.1. We need to make sure that the
> current
> incarnation of Links can accommodate this behavior.

Implementing navigation using Link Headers should be easy, we can grab
that part directly from the RFC and it will not conflict with the OCCI
specific use of Link Headers.

Regarding confusing terminology could we be _very_ consistent on using
"Link Header" when we refer to RFC5988 and just "Link" when referring to
the OCCI base type?
I think we should at least consider renaming the OCCI Link base type to
something else because the current situation will confuse people.

> AE: we could use something like
> "http://schemas.ogf.org/occi/core/collections#" as the scheme for tags?

We could but Alex point of keeping the namespace clean is also important.
Not sure which is best. Will there be only one Category for the collection
stuff or will there be more (defined by Core) in the future?

Speaking of user defined collections. How is the mix-in attribute
occi.core.tag supposed to work when a user adds a Resource instance to 2
or more collections?

regards, Ralf