[occi-wg] Whither OCCI and CDMI?

Gary Mazz garymazzaferro at gmail.com
Mon Nov 29 12:15:24 CST 2010

Mark,

There are three (3) use cases (integration models) OCCI/CDMI can
support. We have a few previous emails on this subject.

1) Block Device using a block device as a backing store. In this case
the block device is a physical block device including iSCSI, FICON Disk,
Serialized SCSIs or any other protocol supporting blck data interchange.
2) Block Device using a files device as a backing store. In this case
the block device is a physical file including NFS, SAMBA, or streams
based files systems.
3) A file system  using a files device as a backing store. In this case
the block device is a physical file including NFS, SAMBA, or streams
based files systems.

These model requires the following data:
A) A URI indicating the source of the backing storage.
B)  Optional credentials authorizing access to the backing storage.
C)  A URI representing the integration point to the cloud compute
resource/OS

OCCI also requires a unique ID to identify the instance of the data
defined above.
D) A URI representing the instance of the storage resource

The last version of the OCCI Infrastructure specification limited
storage to domain specific attributes; occi.storage.size and
occi.storage.state.  It inherits, the occi id from the OCCI core "kind"

CDMI can use the OCCI ID (see 'D' above) to identify the occi storage
instance. CDMI data representing the storage source (see 'A' above) must
be placed in a OCCI link (associated with the OCCI storage resource
instance). Definition of how storage presents to the OS/cloud VM (see
'C' above) or any possible credentials (see 'B' above) has not been
decided.

I hope this helps. These changes are very recent, and IMO,before we sink
any more investment in the storage resource, we need to see how the new
OCCI Core specification floats.

cheers,
gary