[occi-wg] Category identifiers and URI fragments

Ralf Nyren ralf at nyren.net
Wed Nov 10 09:26:50 CST 2010

Hi, just need to send this out before I forget it.

Right now we say a Category has a term and a scheme. To get the unique
Category identifier you concatenate scheme + term so it looks like:

http://schemes.ogf.org/occi/core#resource

According to RFC3986 (URI definition) the URI fragment (i.e. anything
after the number sign "#") is not necessarily sent to a server. The
convention (at least for HTTP) appear to be that the fragment is not sent
to the server and thus only processed by the user agent.

In the long run the discussions have been that by dereferencing a Category
identifier a client would get a full description of the resource
identified by the category. Since fragment processing is left to the
client side by using the # separator we put in the limit that a scheme
must always be returned in its entirety. So for instance having an XML
scheme of the OCCI Core types the minimum a client can request is the
whole scheme.

Now, I do not see this as a problem. However, if someone had an idea,
where the referencing of a single OCCI type definition would be necessary,
the Category identifier need to be revised. And that discussion would be
grand to have _before_ the next OCCI release ;)

I suggest leaving it as is and have the client understand how to navigate
the scheme spec.

regards, Ralf