[occi-wg] Cluster kind or such

Csom Gyula csom at interface.hu
Tue May 11 09:37:57 CDT 2010

Hi!

We decided to go with the OCCI interface within our cloud implementation (and just to be specific
we chose OpenNebula as our CMS platform). We hope that our selection will prove to be a long term
one, thus we'd like to adhere to the OCCI specification as much as possible. Meanwhile we have to
deal with clusters, too, nost just single compute entities. My main question is whether you have
any plan to incorporate compute systems (like clusters) within the OCCI specification?

---

In our context we'll have to deal with different types of clusters such as compute clusters
(with one frontend, nas and many compute nodes) and load balancing clusters (with one load
balancer, many application servers and backend storage). In many scenarios these systems must be
handled as one single entity (eg. must be acquired, deployed at once, must be deleted at once,
etc.). After all one might consider them as resouces, just like any others (compute, storage, and
network).

So the question is whether you plan to introduce compute systems or such into the specification?

---

If yes, what will be the shape model? main entities and relations?

For instance in our context all clusters will share the same simple structure where a system
can be characterized through roles, and node counts (per roles). This might be handled by 1
additional main entity (system), and 3 pseudo entities (role, compute link and system link).
See the attached UML diagram: cluster.png. Of course more complex scenarios are also possible
(peer-to-peer compute relation, system of systems, etc.) but such systems are out of our
current scope...

---

In the spec you put the following: "A simple peer review process is available for extending
the registries which should be used where possible." My last question is regarding this
process:

How does the above peer review work? When and where should someone go to make his request?:)

Cheers,
Gyula