[occi-wg] OCCI Editor Getting Started Guide (docs/README.txt)

Gary Mazz garymazzaferro at gmail.com
Sat Mar 27 23:20:25 CDT 2010

Hi,

I've been staying away from this discussion, but, I like Andre, am a
little confused by the position and would like to see proven successes.
My point of confusion was based in my own incorrect definition of the
word "specification".  I was getting the word "specification" confused
with word "standard".  Maybe clarification of the two words will help
reset expectations, like it did for me.

 From examining the dictionary definitions of the words, I didn't find
anywhere in the definition of the word specification indicating it
should be used as an authoritative reference. With this new
understanding, I think it is acceptable and permissible to alter any
specification as long as it does not violate any intellectual property
ownership agreements, infringe on property rights, license agreements or
copyright laws.

Interest in the stability of specifications is a legitimate concern, and
a common risk for anyone using a 'specification' that's not a
"standard". If this is concern for OCCI specifications, I would suggest
moving the OCCI "specifications" and Getting Started Guide on a path
toward "standardization" backed by an "authoritative" organization.

Or did I miss the point of the 50 some odd emails :)

-gary

I took the liberty to go to dictionary.com and copied the six relevant
definitions of the word "specification".

    --noun
    1.theact of specifying.

    2.Usually, specifications. a detailed description or assessment of requirements, dimensions, materials, etc.,
    as of a proposed building, machine, bridge, etc.

    3.a particular item, aspect, calculation, etc., in such a description.

    4.something specified, as in a bill of particulars; a
    specified particular, item, or article.

    5.an act of making specific.

    6.the state of having a specific character.

Here is the definition of the word "standard":

    --noun

    1.something
     considered by an authority or by general consent as a basis of
    comparison; an approved model.

    3.a rule or principle that is used as a basis for
    judgment: They tried to establish standards
    for a new philosophical approach.

    5.standards,
     those morals, ethics, habits, etc., established by authority,
    custom, or an individual as acceptable: He
    tried to live up to his father's standards.

    23.serving as a basis of weight, measure, value, comparison,
     or judgment.

Here is the definition of the word "authority" used in one definition of
"standard":

    noun,plural-ties.

    1. the power to determine, adjudicate, or otherwise settle issues or disputes; jurisdiction; the
    right to control, command, or determine.

    2. a power or right delegated or given; authorization: Who has the authority to grant permission?

    3. a person or body of persons in whom authority is vested, as a governmental agency.

    4. Usually, authorities. persons having the legal power to make and enforce the law; government: They finally persuaded the authorities that they
    were not involved in espionage.

    5. an accepted source of information, advice, etc.

Here is the definition of the word anarchy:

    --noun

    1. a state of society without government or law.

    2. political and social disorder due to the absence of governmental control: The death of the king was followed by a year of anarchy.

    3. a theory that regards the absence of all direct or coercive government as a political ideal and that proposes the
    cooperative and voluntary association of individuals and groups as the principal mode of organized society.

    4. confusion; chaos;
    disorder: Intellectual and moral anarchy followed his loss of faith.