[occi-wg] OCCI Editor Getting Started Guide (docs/README.txt)

Pieter Hintjens ph at imatix.com
Wed Mar 24 18:20:20 CDT 2010

On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 12:07 AM, Sam Johnston <samj at samj.net> wrote:

> Mine too - if you can't reuse/remix the work then it's not free enough.

The ability to remix a standard seems an essential freedom: if a
standard becomes too complex or encumbered by patents then this is the
only way to save parts of it.  That's why for Digistan we defined[1]
the ability to fork a standard under a share-alike license as a
necessary aspect.  We chose the GPLv3 mainly because it includes some
safeguards against software patents, which CC does not.

-Pieter

[1] http://www.digistan.org/text:rationale#toc6