[occi-wg] OCCI Editor Getting Started Guide (docs/README.txt)

Sam Johnston samj at samj.net
Tue Mar 23 19:20:10 CDT 2010

Andre,

This has been on my todo list for a week so I figure some random thoughts at
1am are better than nothing...

As you saw, I didn't make it to OGF 28. I went to visit a Google datacenter
in another country and imported some cold/flu mongrel hybrid that's kept me
coughing for 3 weeks. That's [part of] the reason why I've missed calls and
haven't been pushing the spec to completion. That will change very soon.

I firmly believe that it's time for us to raise the bar for standards
openness, and part of that is using a license that people are comfortable
with such that they won't feel the need to engage a lawyer before [re]using
our documents. As evidenced by the W3C notice I posted a few hours ago, I'm
not alone on this. Most existing cloud computing specifications are
available under CC licenses and I don't want to give anyone any excuses to
choose another standard over ours. It's too bad Creative Commons don't have
a sensible license for standards that covers patents, but perhaps that's
something they would consider if we ask nicely - I think I'll do just that.

Cutting to the chase, as a primary contributor to the specification
documents I "*grant to the OGF and its participants certain licenses and
rights*" (per OGF Intellectual Property
Policy<http://www.ogf.org/About/abt_policies.php>),
but I *do not assign* the copyrights to OGF. As such I can do pretty much
what I want with my contributions, including granting non-exclusive licenses
to other organisations and publicly releasing them under a license of my
choice or into the public domain (no license required).

I would obviously prefer for the OGF to release the official documents of
their own volition (even as an exception for OCCI), but don't think I won't
do what is required in order to ensure adequate levels of freedom for our
users and implementors (including rewriting contributions from others who
reject more liberal licensing). Nor do I see how this would in any way
prevent the OGF from reaching the three goals you described below.

Sam