[occi-wg] OCCI Editor Getting Started Guide (docs/README.txt)

Sam Johnston samj at samj.net
Tue Mar 23 14:09:36 CDT 2010

I'm still mostly out of action but thought you'd appreciate
this<http://www.w3.org/QA/2010/03/update_on_html_5_document_lice.html>
:

Update on HTML 5 Document License

Today at the W3C Advisory Committee meeting, we discussed the document
license for HTML 5. We discussed use cases from the HTML Working
Group<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2009Feb/0388.html>
that
call for a more open license than the current W3C Document
License<http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Legal/2002/copyright-documents-20021231.html>
.

The result of discussion among the Membership is that there is strong
support for:

   - a license that allows the reuse of excerpts in software, software
   documentation, test suites, and other scenarios;
   - a license (or licenses) that are familiar to the open source community;
   - processes that encourage innovation and experimentation about Web
   technology, so that work can be easily brought to W3C for standardization;
   - making the HTML Working Group a forum that is conducive to
   participation by the community at large;
   - ensuring that the HTML 5 specification remains valuable to the entire
   Web community (see an update from Philippe Le Hégaret on
HTML</2010/Talks/0323-html-plh/> that
   he presented to the Membership).

In short, there is strong support in the Membership (but not unanimity) for
all of the use cases cited by the HTML Working Group *except* forking the
specification. Several W3C Members do feel strongly that the document
license should allow forking, however.

People at the meeting agreed that, in any case, copyright is not likely to
prevent fragmentation. Several points were made:

   - people do not expect copyright to be instrumental to the successful
   deployment of HTML 5. Quality and market relevance will determine whether
   the W3C specification is successful.
   - innovation and experimentation are valued at W3C. Jeff Jaffe, W3C's new
   CEO, has already
blogged<http://www.w3.org/QA/2010/03/first_impressions.html> about
   the fact that W3C should encourage participation from more developers as
   they are significant drivers of innovation.
   - W3C needs to continue to listen closely to the community's views on
   technical direction, including
strongobjections<http://www.w3.org/2005/10/Process-20051014/policies.html#FormalObjection>.
   Although it may not always be possible to bridge certain cultural divides,
   W3C must continue to encourage the expression of opposing views and treat
   them with respect. For instance, Tim Berners-Lee's blog on reinventing
   HTML <http://dig.csail.mit.edu/breadcrumbs/node/166> discusses how W3C
   needed to adjust its course around HTML based on community input.

We have work to do to find the right license to meet the stated goals: to
make it easy for people to reuse W3C specifications in almost all of the
scenarios people have expressed are important to them.

We plan to work with the community on the details as we move forward. More
information can be found in my
slides<http://www.w3.org/2010/Talks/doclicense-20100323/> from
the meeting. We welcome your feedback.