[occi-wg] Cloud Audit slides

Sam Johnston samj at samj.net
Wed Mar 3 20:29:54 CST 2010

Thijs/Krishna/OCCI-WG,

So I haven't said much on the subject yet, beyond highlighting the
opportunity, but I think it would be sensible for us to list
CloudAudit (A6) alongside CDMI as a compatible/suggested/recommended
API. Like CDMI, CloudAudit provides important functionality that is
just outside of the OCCI charter - rather than bloat OCCI it makes a
lot more sense for us to align ourselves with other groups.

Thus far CloudAudit can coexist with OCCI at the same API entry point,
so it is just a case of advertising its existence to OCCI clients
and/or suggesting that implementors may want to implement both specs
together. It does this by using an unusual but standardised directory:
/.well-known/cloudaudit/ (the .well-known directory was created for
services like robots.txt so as to avoid polluting the root namespace).

We have done two things in the current proposals to foster adoption of
CloudAudit - made the v1 API dead simple (it can thus far be
implemented with 0 LOC, simply by creating files on a web server) and
provided an optional resolution service at cloudaudit.net to make it
immediately useful (you can play in our sandbox at
http://cloudaudit.net/.well-known/cloudaudit/). It is likely that
CloudAudit will be useful for OCCI implementors and vice versa - thus
facilitating the adoption of both APIs.

You would be surprised how flexible this approach is:
 - detection is trivial
 - implementation is fast & costs are negligible (contrast to months
to get even a simple REST API into production at a large site)
 - like OCCI we can support any format:
  - simple boolean primitives (`touch <file>`)
  - structured formats (xml, json, etc.)
  - human-friendly formats (PDF printouts or TIFF faxes of auditor
reports, DOC/ODF originals, etc.)
 - compatible with other APIs, websites, etc. co-located at the same
URI (e.g. http://cloud.example.com)
 - all the usual caching/proxying goodness of HTTP
 - security (confidentiality, integrity by way of SSL, availability by
way of DNS)

Technically the integration would likely be implemented as a <link
rel="http://cloudaudit.org/" href="http://cloud.example.com"
title="CloudAudit" /> or similar.

Anyway for more information or to join visit
http://www.cloudaudit.org/ (and A6 people can find out more about OCCI
at http://www.occi-wg.org/)

Sam (who was in a data center today and thus unable to join the call(s))