[occi-wg] RDF, RDFa and HTML

Roger Menday roger.menday at uk.fujitsu.com
Thu Jun 24 05:53:16 CDT 2010

hi Andy

thanks for posting this. I'm digesting (and I hope others are too).
I am very interested in seeing where OCCI can go with this - I hope to
get back to you soon.

Roger

On 23 Jun 2010, at 12:44, Edmonds, AndrewX wrote:

> [...]
> have it already with the OCCI model; it's just a matter of
> expressing it in RDF. With an ontology in hand, we can define
> semantically marked-up HTML with the ontology's vocabulary using the
> facilities of RDFa. I've worked on 2 ways of expressing the OCCI
> model in RDF.
>
> 1. Using python [2].
> 2. Using a modeling tool (Protégé) [3][4][5]. Note these owl files
> may need their imports modified in Protégé.
>
> The only difference in the two is that occi.owl (core spec), occi-
> infrastructure.owl (infrastructure spec) and occi-sla-at-soi.owl
> (SLA at SOI extensions) are defined in separate files with the Protégé
> approach. This should give folks an idea of how extensions for OCCI
> can be introduced. However in both examples, occi-core, occi-
> infrastructure and slasoi-infrastructure are separated by namespace.
>
> As RDFa does not explicitly define a rigorous structure for HTML
> documents, and it shouldn't, we need to be able to express 2 basics
> forms:
>
> 1. A concrete OCCI Kind instance (Compute, Storage, Network). I have
> an example here [6].
> 2. A collection of OCCI Kind instances. I have an example here [7].
> In this example values of objects are exposed using the 'content'
> RDFa attribute [8].
>
> Each example may not be 100% perfect but what's most interesting is
> when you run the each HTML rendering through a RDFa parser [9]
> (examples here [10] [11]). The RDF extracted is quite along the
> lines of what some might expect an OCCI POX format to be. Note, I'm
> not advocating POX, just pointing to the flexibility of RDFa. There
> are still some aspects to be worked out but I will follow up on
> these in a separate mail (this one is long enough!).
>
> If you want to see how all of this visually looks then see here:
> ontology only [12], ontology and graph instance [13].
>
> I'd really appreciate and love to hear people's comments, opinions
> on this! :-)
>
> Andy
>
> [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/rdfa-in-html/
> [2] http://dl.dropbox.com/u/165239/occi-rdf.py
> [3] http://dl.dropbox.com/u/165239/occi.owl
> [4] http://dl.dropbox.com/u/165239/occi-infrastructure.owl
> [5] http://dl.dropbox.com/u/165239/occi-sla-at-soi.owl
> [6] http://home.edmonds.be/occi-html5-rdfa-one.html
> [7] http://home.edmonds.be/occi-html5-rdfa-list.html
> [8] http://www.w3.org/TR/2010/WD-rdfa-core-20100422/#s_syntax
> [9] http://www.w3.org/2007/08/pyRdfa
> [10] http://www.w3.org/2007/08/pyRdfa/extract?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fhome.edmonds.be%2Focci-html5-rdfa-one.html
> [11] http://www.w3.org/2007/08/pyRdfa/extract?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fhome.edmonds.be%2Focci-html5-rdfa-list.html
> [12] http://dl.dropbox.com/u/165239/occi-rdf-graph-rev2.png
> [13] http://dl.dropbox.com/u/165239/occi-rdf-graph-inst-rev2.png

> Intel Ireland Limited (Branch)
> Collinstown Industrial Park, Leixlip, County Kildare, Ireland

Roger Menday (PhD)
<roger.menday at uk.fujitsu.com>

Senior Researcher, Fujitsu Laboratories of Europe Limited
Hayes Park Central, Hayes End Road, Hayes, Middlesex, UB4 8FE, U.K.
Tel: +44 (0) 208 606 4534

 Fujitsu Laboratories of Europe Limited
 Hayes Park Central, Hayes End Road, Hayes, Middlesex, UB4 8FE
 Registered No. 4153469

 This e-mail and any attachments are for the sole use of addressee(s) and
 may contain information which is privileged and confidential. Unauthorised
 use or copying for disclosure is strictly prohibited. The fact that this
 e-mail has been scanned by Trendmicro Interscan does not guarantee that
 it has not been intercepted or amended nor that it is virus-free.