[occi-wg] Revocation of licenses

Andre Merzky andre at merzky.net
Thu Jun 17 19:14:57 CDT 2010

Quoting [Sam Johnston] (Jun 18 2010):

> In consideration of the subsequent responses from two OGF officials and
> in the absence of any form of remorse or apology for earlier personal
> attacks by another, any and all copyright, patent and/or trademark
> licenses that may have been previously extended relating to OCCI
> (specification, logo, etc.) are hereby revoked.

Dear Sam,

as you know from the OGF's IPR, also cited in the OCCI documents::

  "The OGF invites any interested party to bring to its attention
  any copyrights, patents or patent applications, or other
  proprietary rights which may cover technology that may be required
  to practice this recommendation.  Please address the information
  to the OGF Executive Director."

Thus, many thanks for the note.  I do understand your point about
copyright.  Could you please point out the trademarks and patents
though?  We want to be on the safe side here, really.

Also please note that the OCCI documents have been in public
comment, and thus been already published, under OGF copyright.
By you and the OCCI chairs btw.

Like,

  Copyright (C) Open Grid Forum (2009,2010). All Rights Reserved.

in

  http://ogf.org/Public_Comment_Docs/Documents/2010-01/occi-core.pdf

on

  http://ogf.org/gf/docs/?archived

Also, I want to remind you, *again*, that all contributions to OGF
fall under OGF IPR.  You signed up to this as you created a GF
account (https://forge.gridforum.org/sf/sfmain/do/createUser), and
you sign a sheet at *every* OGF meeting.  The chairs and secretary
(i.e. you) are also supposed to remind people of that fact on every
call.  I hope you always did that, didn't you? ;-)  FWIW, the
details are in GFD.152 (formerly GFD.1) which you cited in your
previous mail.

I am just pointing those things out.  I am no lawyer, and don't ever
want to be, and I am thus not qualified to really answer your
claims.

I am sure, however, that the OGF board will be happy to answer.  As
pointed out in the quote above, those issues are really to be raised
with the OGF Executive Director.  This list, OTOH, is supposed to be
about technical discussions.  Thus I would like to ask you to repost
your requests to the OGF Executive Director, and also to move all
further discussions of OGF IPR there.

  http://ogf.org/About/abt_contact.php

Thanks.

> All contributions continue to be available under a [1]Creative Commons
> Attribution Share Alike 3.0 license which guarantees freedoms that the
> [2]OGF copyright deliberately and unjustifiably restricts, including
> but not limited to the right to reuse. I wish you the best of luck in
> putting the specification to good use under these terms, but publish
> under another license at your peril.

MUST. RESIST. TO. REPLY. AGAIN.  ;-)

Best, Andre.

> Kind regards,