[occi-wg] Editorial tool -online options

Gary Mazz garymazzaferro at gmail.com
Mon Jul 5 12:15:54 CDT 2010

There are many different ways to collaborate online, google docs is only
one of them.

I have some serious concerns about google docs.
1) you must be tethered to google. No internet, no document. I don't
know about the quality of connectivity in the rest of the world, but I
have comcast as an ISP due to limited options in the US. Comcast is
infamous for poor service quality. I'm not comfortable with the idea
that I need both comcast and google operating properly to edit a
document.

2) I don't want to be at risk of feature removal from google. For
example, you used to be able to use  Google Gears to edit google docs
offline. The feature was suddenly removed and was not heard from again.
What features will be next ?

3) What other precedence is there for a body like occi to used google
docs ?

4) On a personal note, I find the document, spreadsheet and drawing
editors clumsy, non-intuitive and requires many more key strokes and
mouse clicks in comparison to OO writer, word, and framemaker.

If we are going to seriously consider online editing, we should put M$
Live in the mix, which is also free. I believe M$ word is also the
editing software for DMTF, SNIA and TMForum.

cheers,
gary