[occi-wg] Categorization via link relations

Mike Kelly mike at mykanjo.co.uk
Thu Jan 21 12:39:41 CST 2010

Sam Johnston wrote:
> eventually came to the realisation (like you) that it would be
> possible to convey this information via the Link: header. What's
> possible and what's sensible aren't always the same thing though

Fair enough - what about the link header approach do you think isn't
sensible?

> I'd argue that there's not much difference in terms of handling effort
> as you'll most likely be dealing with raw headers anyway (remember we
> need schemes so even if there was some intelligence to the handling of
> links we'd have to bypass it for this).

I'd just meant in terms of tools for parsing/formatting etc. As another
example, it would make the categorization mechanism discoverable by
standard link header crawlers - category extensions could also be
facilitated via link relations and benefit in the same way.

Cheers,
Mike