[occi-wg] NITRD talk and input for upcoming SDO panel at Telecom Cloud workshop

Alan Sill alan.sill at ttu.edu
Thu Dec 2 10:09:46 CST 2010

I'd like to call the attention of SCRM-WG and OCCI-WG participants to
to a  talk that I gave yesterday on OGF at the National Coordination
Office NITRD MAGIC meeting yesterday to a group of US government
program officers and representatives from various federal  funding
agencies.  The purpose of this talk was to call OGF's activities to
their attention and to make the case for further involvement from
participants in the projects that they fund in the activities and
working groups within OGF.

http://www.hpcc.ttu.edu/asill/ogf/nitrd/MAGIC-Dec2010-OGF-Standards-Intro-Web.pdf

This talk highlighted our joint work with other standards development
organizations, our recent work on OCCI and cooperation with CDMI being
developed by SNIA, as well as covering some of the background and
motivation for OGF in general.  Your comments and feedback would be
appreciated.

Also, next week Monday and Tuesday there is a Telecom Cloud
Information Day and Workshop being sponsored by the Open management
Group (OMG) that will feature talks on OCCI by Craig Lee as well as a
large amount of material presented by other organizations.  As part of
that workshop, I have been invited to lead a panel on "Existing Cloud
Standards Roadmaps, Related SDO Collaboration Work and Top Issues"
that will draw on audience participation and feedback from other
Telecom Cloud participants.  It is to be followed by a session on
"Strategy for Cloud Standards Collaboration Roadmap Development " to
be led by Bob Marcus of Huawei.

While I am familiar with US NIST, European SIENA, and several of the
other cloud and grid project roadmapping efforts in Japan, South
America, etc., as well as other private efforts, I think that a lot of
the work being done by the SCRM and OCCI groups could usefully be
highlighted in these sessions.  I invite feedback either individually
or collectively to these lists regarding points you would like to
highlight, SDO collaboration of all types regardless of the level of
formality, and proper methods for engagement by parties that may not
have yet been part of your work in the activities being pursued in
each of these OGF work groups.  I am also interested in items and
topics for outward engagement.

Please let me know either privately or by postings to the appropriate
work group lists your thoughts on any or all of the above.  Thanks for
all that each of you has done to promote our work within OGF to date,
as well as on engagements with outside SDOs.

Alan Sill, Ph.D
Senior Scientist, High Performance Computing Center
Adjunct Professor of Physics
TTU

Vice President of Standards
Open Grid Forum

:  Alan Sill, Texas Tech University  Office: Admin 233, MS 4-1167  :
:  e-mail: Alan.Sill at ttu.edu   ph. 806-742-4350  fax 806-742-4358  :