[occi-wg] Link & Linking

Alexander Papaspyrou alexander.papaspyrou at tu-dortmund.de
Tue Aug 17 03:07:39 CDT 2010

Ralf,

Am 16.08.2010 um 16:46 schrieb Ralf Lyren:

> When a Link is turned into a resource and thus exposed to CRUD semantics
> it will only be valid in the response to a GET request of an associated
> Resource, right? That is, using POST/GET/PUT/DELETE with e.g. a compute
> resource any Link headers will only be present in the GET response?

I would say yes. Since the creation is handled through the link resource, it shouldn't be done through OCCI Resources anymore.

> If so we solve the problems of updating and removing links although we
> still have the the side effects when deleting a resource with associated
> links. I.e. that the DELETE operation of a resource should remove any
> associated links to avoid dangling links.

Agreed. I strongly believe that this should be something the server side should take care of.

> Another problem with Link as a resource is that now there can be circular
> links and links pointing to other links.

This was not intended, but I see your point. Alas, the Link resource needs to have some kind of information on the source of the link, otherwise it will be difficult to keep track of dangling links. We probably have to state explicitly in the spec that the "source" attribute does not indicate a bidirectional link, but just indicates the source of a unidirectional link.

> [1] http://forge.ogf.org/sf/wiki/do/viewPage/projects.occi-wg/wiki/Link

Regards,
Alexander

--