[occi-wg] OCCI Categories and Types

Ralf Nyren ralf at nyren.net
Fri Aug 13 04:59:57 CDT 2010

Nice work, it fits in to the current use of categories while making
extensibility easier to understand.

A few comments/questions:

Each category, defined by schema + term, can have a set of associated
attributes. What namespace restrictions/rules are imposed on these
attributes?
Currently Core&Models says provider defined categories must be in a
different namespace but no more. Maybe extend this a bit further as to
avoid namespace conflicts while combining many categories? I believe
earlier revs of the spec said something like:
com.example.<category_term>.<attr_name>

I do not quite understand the various Content-type headers used in the
examples. Are they of any significance to the definition/use of categories?

And just a few notes on the examples, sorry if it sounds picky but
consistency really helps understanding:

- Category: compute; scheme="http://prov.com/occi#";
   Scheme should be "http://prov.com/occi/resource#" right?
- Link: </compute/123-123-123;start>; type="application/occi-action";
   Is the "type" attribute of the Link header something new? If so, how it
is defined?
- In Link header: rel="category http://prov.com/occi#action"
   Is the format rel="category XXX" something new as well?

regards, Ralf