[occi-wg] HTTP Header Serialization Format, use of Attribute header

Ralf Nyren ralf at nyren.net
Wed Aug 11 06:14:11 CDT 2010

Yes, I am aware of the problems and thus currently only use the
comma-separated list format for outgoing data.

But as you said we still have this problem for Category and Link headers
in any case so I do not see why the specification would try to accommodate
the web framework, etc problems for just attributes. I mean, the whole
bootstrap/discovery process depends on the ability to send multiple
Category headers.

A more solid argument as I see it is one of robustness. With the Attribute
header we tag all the supplied values as being attributes and nothing
else. For a client this means it can display unrecognized (vendor)
attributes to the user and a server can respond with an appropriate error
message for any attributes it does not support. Without the Attribute
header unrecognized attributes would just be silently discarded.

regards, Ralf