[occi-wg] Horizontal & vertical scalability in the cloud

Gary Mazz garymazzaferro at gmail.com
Sun Oct 25 21:22:06 CDT 2009

'horizontal' and 'vertical' dials is a good idea to define.

@Andy,  I'm a little confused on the definition of horizontal
saleability. Aren't the cpus in a single operating image a vertical
workload capacity much like the amount RAM . If the number of images
scaled, that would be horizontal because there is no necessity for the
images to be the same workload set.

I would prefer to see the dials tied to a standard "meter of work". An
efficiency metric instead of an "equivalence" of cpu count and ghz and
RAM amount. Juggling these dials may not be as effectual as the consumer
perceives when a provider decide to throttle back performance and starts
dropping workload requests. Without a referenced  "effective workload"
metric, it may be tough to ascertain if the dials effect anything, other
than the charge to the customer.

gary