[occi-wg] Horizontal & vertical scalability in the cloud

Randy Bias randyb at cloudscaling.com
Sun Oct 25 20:26:19 CDT 2009

On Oct 25, 2009, at 5:38 PM, Sam Johnston wrote:
> A better approach to scalability is to have a single object which
> you can both adjust the resources of (vertical scalability) and
> adjust the number of instances of (horizontal scalability). That is,
> you start a single instance with 1 core and 1Gb, then while it's
> running you crank it up to 2 cores and 2Gb. Eventually you max out
> at say 8 cores and 16Gb so you need to go horizontal at some point.
> Rather than create new unlinked instances the idea is that you would
> simply adjust the

I agree.  This is the future.  Dials for 'horizontal' and for
'vertical', probably attached to a given tier of an application.

Just as an FYI, I think 'scale-up' VMs are going to be more and more
common.  We'll see VMs with a *lot* more RAM and cores very soon now.
Most of the modern OSes handle hotplug of CPU/RAM pretty well.

Best,

--Randy

Randy Bias, Founder & Cloud Strategist, Cloudscaling
+1 (415) 939-8507 [m], randyb at cloudscaling.com
BLOG: http://cloudscaling.com/blog