[occi-wg] confusion about status of link / headers

Sam Johnston samj at samj.net
Tue Oct 20 03:20:34 CDT 2009

Adrian,

On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 7:19 AM, Adrian Cole <adrian at jclouds.org> wrote:

> Here are options for metadata used in some of the major storage clouds
> FWIW:
>
> S3, Rackspace, EMC Atmos, Azure - Headers
> Nirvanix - query params in, xml entity out
> Mezeo - entity

Thanks - this is great information.

> Of the ones using headers, S3, Rackspace and Azure use prefix with
> values stored as-us.  Atmos joins all metadata together into one
> header, making parsing trivial (split /,/), but necessary.

If you use something like "Attribute: name=value" then HTTP specifies that
this can be collapsed into a single "Attribute: name1=value1, name2=value2"
header (',' is used to separate headers while ';' separates header
components).

> The most expensive option of the above is entity, where each metadata
> value is a separate GET.  However, entities allow binary metadata and
> zero restrictions on it, which may be useful.

In such cases it is probably better to use Link: headers. For example, we
can advertise a console screenshot in an image/* format using something
like:

Link: </myvm.png>; rel="http://purl.org/occi/relation#console"

The same approach is currently used to advertise SSH/RDP/etc. access too.

> In jclouds, we time parsing of response values.  A simple XML doc with
> only several elements written in SAX takes a few ms to parse.  My log
> files are not precise enough to find the overhead in parsing headers:
> they always start and finish within the same millisecond.

While unsurprising it's good to have some numbers to back up the assumption
that headers are more performant... I haven't pushed this point before now
because I didn't have the evidence.

> I hope this background helps, and also helps explain why I'm vocal on
> such topics such as headers vs entities :)

Sure - it's great to have you on board.

Sam