[occi-wg] confusion about status of link / headers

Sam Johnston samj at samj.net
Mon Oct 19 11:44:29 CDT 2009

Alexis,

Agreed. Gary that's an incredible amount of bureaucracy you've managed to
squeeze into one email, and all over a debate as to which side of the CRLF
character the metadata belongs on (following a religious war over <> vs {}
no less). At this stage finishing the document must be our number one
priority (having just watched our final deadline sail by with OGF 27) and
reverting anything (in this case months of my work) cannot be considered
going forward however you look at it.

If I understand well you have implemented an ancient version of the spec in
a commercial product and will stop at nothing to prevent *any* changes being
made, despite my having discussed this issue at length both on- and off-list
starting August/September. Conversely, as a representative of end users I
assure you I have no agenda beyond releasing the highest quality protocol
possible in a timely fashion so as to remain relevant (something we are already
struggling with <http://twitter.com/littleidea/status/4979754002>).

How about we focus on the technical merits of the alternative(s)? HTTP
provides a perfectly good metadata channel that is *extremely* well tested
(claims to the contrary are FUD, per above) and means we can delicately
sidestep the entire issue of creating our own representations (with the
associated interoperability problems and the additional cost of having to
implement multiple formats). Bear in mind that there are existing (generally
open) standards for representations of everything from virtual machines to
calendar entries and users can choose the most appropriate for the task - if
we stray in-band then we'll need to do work for each and every object that
we ever intend to represent (note that HTTP does no such thing).

Sam