[occi-wg] Foreign markup and extensibility

Gary Mazz garymazzaferro at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 05:33:35 CDT 2009

Hi Sam,

I like this approach, and have used it successfully before in tagged
data representations.

The challenge will be parsing the "foreign markup" in text format, if a
some sort of record delimiters are not employed. It will be difficult to
parse the foreign markup record s injected in the middle of  an occi
text document or stream. We will require a way to detect the beginning
and end of the foreign markup in text (non XML) form.

For occi text format, I suggest a tag "foreign markup" immediately
followed by white space characters that are immediately followed by
"foreign markup octet count" terminated by a colon ':'. The next
character following the colon is the beginning of the foreign markup.
The foreign markup continues "without interruption" in the context of
the document. All "foreign markup" terminates with a CR/LF characters.
The terminating  CR/LF characters are NOT part of the "foreign markup
octet count". OCCI markup and additional "foreign markup" MAY follow the
CR/LF termination characters. Obviously, "without interruption" does not
include transport level fragmentation, out of order delivery and network
transport assembly.  It also not not include operating system memory
fragmentation.

-gary