[occi-wg] New http section of the document

Sam Johnston samj at samj.net
Wed Oct 7 08:57:44 CDT 2009

On Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 3:37 PM, Gary Mazz <garymazzaferro at gmail.com> wrote:

> There is a new HTTP section to the OCCI document. This sections
> describes OCCI attributes as HTTP headers. This section must be removed
> from the document !!
>
> THIS INFORMATION OR APPROACH A HAS NOT BEEN APPROVED OR AGREED UPON.
>
> PLEASE SUBMIT IT AS A PROPOSAL.

Now this definitely was me... sfaict you're the only person here who has a
problem with it and yet you haven't presented any case for the inclusion of
metadata in-band along with formats over which we have no control (e.g.
OVF).

Nor have you answered my concerns about OCCI representations conflicting
with external representations like OVF, for example where an auto-scaling
system bumps up the cores/speed/memory without touching the underlying
resource.

Nor have you presented an alternative that does not involve overhauling the
model in order to separate workloads from containers as I had originally
proposed.

I'm sure we'll discuss this (again) on the call, but let's focus on the
facts in terms of pros and cons. There are 3 options:

   - Use a wrapper format like SOAP or Atom to capture the metadata
   - Overhaul the model to cater for different representations of the same
   resources showing different realities
   - Keep the data and metadata separate using existing HTTP fuctionality
   (headers).