[occi-wg] Versioning?

Mark Masterson mmasterson at csc.com
Sun May 31 09:07:10 CDT 2009

What about versioning the API?  This is surprisingly hard to get right, but
(for many, just as surprisingly) awfully important -- I have seen numerous
enterprisey distributed system efforts fail for just (and entirely) this
reason.  There is no mention in any of the three APIs being talked about
here (GoGrid, EH, or Sun) of versioning that I can find?  Nor do I recal it
being discussed as a first class design goal on this list yet?  On the wiki
there is no mention of it in the API Design section.

Although I confess that I have never used it in anger, there is a
fascinating proposal for attacking versioning in a RESTful way here:
http://barelyenough.org/blog/2008/05/versioning-rest-web-services/  (with
some caveats here:
http://barelyenough.org/blog/2008/05/versioning-rest-web-services-tricks-and-tips/
).  The REST gurus in this group may well know an even better way to solve
the problem.

I'd be interested in hearing others' views on this.

Mark Masterson
Enterprise architect, troublemaker
CSC

Financial Services EMEA | m: +49.172.6163412 | Internal blog: Schloss
Masterson | Public blog: Process Perfection
(http://jroller.com/MasterMark/) | mmasterson at csc.com | www.csc.com.

CSC • This is a PRIVATE message. If you are not the intended recipient,
please delete without copying and kindly advise us by e-mail of the mistake
in delivery.  NOTE: Regardless of content, this e-mail shall not operate to
for such purpose ï CSC Computer Sciences Limited • Registered Office: Royal
Pavilion, Wellesley Road, Aldershot, Hampshire, GU11 1PZ, UK • Registered
in England No: 0963578